Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ozark Rooms

On a cross-country trip some years ago I spent a week in Doniphan, Missouri. I met Dode Williams, an older gentleman with no teeth who lived alone in the Ozark Rooms in the middle of town. Inside his apartment was a bust of an Indian, a kerosene lantern, a horseshoe, an owl clock, and a shotgun.

I sketched the entrance to the Ozark Rooms with a pen and gray marker while sitting at the top of the stairs.

Dode took me down to what he called the “Sin Center,” a long smoke-filled room with eight billiard tables used for a game called “snooker.” Each table had a glaring fluorescent light above it. One wall was covered with the fox hunting trophies of Ernie Caldwell, who was then 93 years old. The rest of the old-timers sat on the benches behind the hand painted checkerboards, occasionally swatting flies.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very dramatic. Colorful story. It would make a great comic.

Kyle said...

Wow, I love the look of this! Pen and marker has always appealed to me, but whenever I attempt it things end up looking rather muddy. Do you mind if I ask what pen/paper you're using?

Super Villain said...

great story, is this the same crosscountry trip were you were flying kites onto of a moving train, haha!

Super Villain said...

sorry for the typo, i ment, flying kites ONTOP of a moving train...

Unknown said...

Cool lookin' avatar Super Wu-man!

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a converted flop house I lived in for a minute when I was a kid (20-something). No, I wasn't a customer, just someone who wanted a warm room and the company of lively characters.

Good drawing.